Jim Joyce, books, vendor booths, etc.

Ed Gould ed at mtxinu.COM
Thu Jul 6 08:27:59 AEST 1989

>My understanding is that DECUS gives third-party vendors a more-or-less
>equal footing with DEC.

Not even close.  There are no third-party exhibits in the DEC show at
DECUS (except for occasional third-party products that DEC is marketing
from within their exhibit).  A separate organization runs a show called
DEXPO that (in addition to being held separately) is held in close
proximity to, and at the same time as, DECUS.

DECUS has a "non-commercialization" policy that prohibits sales pitches
at sessions.  This policy has been only loosely applied to DEC (who
get to make new product announcements and the like).  It is applied
to users, who can make only legitimate technical presentations.

I don't know the tax status of DECUS, but I doubt that they are
tax exempt.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2560 Ninth St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
ed at mtxinu.COM		    +1 415 644 0146

"I'll fight them as a woman, not a lady.  I'll fight them as an engineer."