Suggestion for Conferences (poster & other talks)

Joseph S. D. Yao jsdy at dtix.ARPA
Sat Jun 24 04:23:27 AEST 1989

The Summer USENIX conference went pretty well, as these things have
been going.  It occurred to me that there are a lot of people on the
net that might have interesting things going (or some interesting
trivia), but who nevertheless might not feel it worth their effort to
prepare and give a talk, or might not feel comfortable doing so.  I
just noticed that in comp.org.ieee somebody mentioned that the most
interesting presentations were often the poster presentations.  This
isn't a bad idea.  We haven't had any of those for a while.  I wonder
if anybody's interested in doing something like that?  (Is USENIX
interested in receiving submissions like that?)

Also, it seems that a lot of people say, Oh, what I'm doing isn't very
interesting.  I know I do it.  But I stepped back and thought, casting
off the dreary glow of familiarity, might there be something in the
stuff that I'm doing or its byproducts that others might find different
and perhaps even interesting?  Perhaps ... If I have time to prepare
it.  (*sigh* - They are making me do bothersome management things
again.)

Joe Yao
hadron!jsdy at uunet.UU.NET