Jim Joyce (cont.)

John Donnelly johnd at boulder.Colorado.EDU
Wed Jun 28 00:50:35 AEST 1989

<Perhaps someone from the Usenix office could explain why sales are not
<permitted on the floor of the Usenix vendor exhibition.  I can think
<of a number of reasons both pro and con, but am interested in why it
<is not permitted at present.
USENIX is a non-profit organization.  Selling on the Exhibit floor would
compromise our non-profit status as far as the IRS is concerned.  That is
the guidance we have received from our lawyers/accountants.
Jim Joyce has manipulated the system for years.  USENIX controls the suites
at the headquarters hotel so that we can make sure the exhibitors have the
opportunity to reserve them for their hospitality suites.  Joyce has
reserved exhibit space at previous exhibitions, made a reservation for a
suite, and then cancelled his exhibit space.  Another way to beat the
system.
Remember his San Francisco tutorial program - run at the same time, same
city, in space right acrossed the street from the San Francisco Hilton??
He even posted information on the net which implied the Association had
"endorsed" his tutorials.
Joyce does not support the Association, he uses is for his own purposes.

John L. Donnelly - USENIX Tutorial Coordinator/Exhibit Manager