Book Signings at Summer Usenix in Baltimore Hyatt Regency

David Fiedler david at infopro.UUCP
Sat Jun 10 07:11:45 AEST 1989

In article <57038 at uunet.UU.NET>, rick at uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams) writes:
> > The Usenix Staff will have info about where the suite is in the hotel
>
> Get real. Why should the USENIX Staff publicize your
> commercial venture when you don't bother to buy a booth at their
> exhibition?
>
> If you expect to use the services of the USENIX staff in your
> profit making venture, why dont you pay for it like all the other vendors.

This message was addressed to Jim Joyce's original posting.  I don't
know about Usenix, but it is a fact that Jim has been treated very
poorly by /usr/group.  In particular, they refused to sell him a booth
because he would be making book sales, and then allowed other companies
to make book sales from their booths.

Perhaps Jim found it was easier to avoid such upsetting confrontations
by having a separate suite than by renting a booth and running afoul of
nonsensical and discriminatory rules.  As far as paying for booths, I
know for a fact that Jim has paid for booths at shows when it had been
made clear to him in advance that he would be allowed to sell books in
his booth.

I believe he also likes to serve food and wine in his suite, an activity
that even Usenix would likely frown on in a booth on the show floor. Jim's
suite, bookstore, or whatever you wish to call it, has been a tradition at
Usenix conferences as long as I can remember. And I can remember far
back enough when having booths at Usenix was considered bad form and tacky
commercialization.

--
David Fiedler {ames,attmail,hoptoad,pyramid}!infopro!david
USMail: InfoPro Systems, PO Box 220, Rescue CA 95672 Phone: 916/677-5870