Jim Joyce, books, vendor booths, etc.

Eugene Miya eugene at eos.UUCP
Fri Jun 23 11:18:51 AEST 1989

In article <614553603.12740 at ontmoh.UUCP> peter at ontmoh.UUCP (Peter Renzland) writes:
>Perhaps Usenix might *pay* Jim Joyce a percentage of the take.

I was going to stay quiet, but...
Years ago, Jim Joyce had a special place at Unix User Group meetings.
(pre-Usenix, maybe BU: Before Usenix)
In contrast to the detailed/heavy kernel implementation talks,
Jim would give light, restful (toward the end of conference) applications.
He gave talks on things we all knew were computer applications, but
were busy working out details.  People looked foward to Jim's talks.
In some ways, I think Jim deserves special dispensation for having stuck
with it so long (as was once mentioned about a certain person in comp.lang.c).

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene at aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  				Live free or die.