any software to be distributed

Leonard H. Tower Jr. tower at bu-cs.BU.EDU
Fri Jun 9 01:15:03 AEST 1989

In article <24580 at shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> heather at CS.UCLA.EDU () writes:
|At the San Diego USENIX, someone had kindly set up a tape drive
|and allowed attendees to copy GNU and X11 software to tape.
|Do any of you happen to know whether a similar set up will be
|available at the Baltimore USENIX?  If so, has the software
|been updated since January in San Diego?  I'd like to bring tapes
|to copy any new GNU stuff, but don't want to lug them around
|unless there's a good reason!
|
|Thanks,
|
|Heather Burris, UCLA

It's unclear, at this moment, if there will be either enough disk
space or a 9 track reel tape drive to support attendee copying of
software brought by other attendees.  It's still a possibility, and
Sun catridges look like the most likely media.  No promises.

Even so, I will have both sets of GNU UNIX tapes with me: the three 9
track 1600bpi reels and the three QIC-24 Sun catridges.  The ~100 meg
of GNU and X11R3 is on each set.

The 'someone at San Diego' was Brian Kantor, a volunteer.  He had
enough resources in San Diego to put a tape copying system together.

Brian: Thanks again!

This kind of effort (as does most efforts around the USENIX
Association) needs a volunteer to put it together.  Tasks include:
	- locating the equipment.  Either from local sources, or from
a vendor who is willing to lend it (usually for the publicity).
	- get the equipment to USENIX, get it running, and arrange for
it's security and proper operation.  Get it taken down, packed up and
returned safely.
	- get approval from the USENIX Board to cover any expenses:
shipping, cables, inducements for volunteer facilities minders, etc.

You don't have to do all this yourself, just see that it gets done.  ;-}
Cooperating with the terminal room coordinator would be a natural.

If you or any one else wishes to become that volunteer for Washington ...

If anyone can provide a machine to do tape copying in Baltimore, let
me know, and I'll put you in touch with the people you need to work with.

enjoy -len