Jim Joyce, books, vendor booths, etc.

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Wed Jun 21 02:24:47 AEST 1989

In article <15866 at vail.ICO.ISC.COM> rcd at ico.ISC.COM (Dick Dunn) writes:
>... it's not clear to me that "buying a booth" makes any sense to a book-
>seller.  They're obviously NOT in the same league as hardware and software
>vendors.  What does a bookseller booth do?  You can't sell books there ...

A bookseller can do what HCR did, for different reasons:  buy a "virtual
booth", paying the fee but not actually occupying any space on the show
floor.  This gets you a slot in the vendor directory, the right to put up
signs in well-defined places, etc., without having to actually man a booth
or observe the show-floor restrictions.

Cucumber Books was at Usenix (in a suite in the Sheraton) and selling,
without (as far as I know) any of Jim's undiplomatic tactics.  I bought
from them.
--
You *can* understand sendmail, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
but it's not worth it. -Collyer| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu