Jim Joyce, books, vendor booths, etc.

Peter Renzland peter at ontmoh.UUCP
Fri Jun 23 07:20:05 AEST 1989

>From article <1950 at ssc.UUCP>, by fyl at ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes):

> [...] (I do understand why you can't sell stuff but that doesn't help us.)

I don't understand why "you can't sell stuff".  Could someone please explain?

> On the other end, it is a service to members/attendees to be able to
> see, feel and even buy UNIX books.  Possibly Usenix could either operate
> their own "bookstore" at or near the show to offer these types of
> publications or get someone to do it where Usenix gets a % of the take.

Perhaps Usenix might *pay* Jim Joyce a percentage of the take.  After all,
Every Unix book sold (and even seen) furthers the interest in, if not
understanding of Unix.   And we all know that bookstores (bookbooths)
naturally attract those earnestly seeking (and willing to share) knowledge,
if not truth, thus providing an important cultural venue.  Those who don't
already know may be pleasantly surprised that Jim Joyce has actually read
the books and can discuss them intelligently.

I do think that books, together with *knowledgeable* custodians, are an
important resource at a conference or show.  Perhaps it might make everyone
happy if users could place mail orders at the booth.  This would ease
the load of the booksellers (only 1 display copy of each book), would allow
attendees to travel home lighter, and might appease the "can't sell stuff"
hardliners.

--
Peter Renzland @ Ontario Ministry of Health  416/964-9141  peter at ontmoh.UUCP