Hospitality suites?

Brian Kantor brian at ucsd.EDU
Sat May 27 14:55:58 AEST 1989

When I was a poor student, I used to spend the entire week of a
conference living off hospitality suite munchies....

What I think a hospitality suite should have is:

	Intelligent representatives who don't bullshit you,
	and who have more than a "well, the front panel's got our name
	on it" knowledge of the products.  (leave the beancounters and
	the sales clones home, eh?)

	Nifty Toys - yoyos, little projectors, squirt pistols, etc.

	Munchies - something you grab and wave while you talk:
	   FRESH fruit and veggies and dips
	   cashews
	   chicken wings
	   chocolate
	   cookies
	   pretzels
	   potstickers
	   ribs
	   roast beast
	   rumaki (sp?)
	   sandwiches
	   shrimp
	   sirloin tips
	   spring rolls

	Beer (wine for the yuppies)

While I've never TAKEN a job as a result of a hospitality suite, I've
interviewed with a few.  I believe it was the access to technical
managers that impressed me as to the competence of the firm - and I
consider the quality and quantity of the spread to be at least some
indication of just how a company treats its employees.  It's not
unlikely that a miserly hospitality suite means a cheapskate work
environment.  After all, if they won't spend some money to get you to
come work for them, just how much do they want you to stay after they've
got you?  Or maybe they don't spend the money because they don't have
it?  NOBODY bounces my payroll check twice.

Oh yeah - see if the employess of the company are stoking up on goodies
too.  If they've been told not to eat any of the munchies, maybe there's
some cheapness lurking behind the scenes.

Face it, a hospitality suite is sometimes the only chance you have to
interview prospective employers before you're desperately looking for a
job.  Maybe you aren't ready to leave where you are now, but when the
next contract doesn't materialize, which companies are you going to
contact first?  The ones that treated you right at the last conference.
Good food and no bullshit are IMPORTANT!
	- Brian