Washington DC

Blesch prgclb at ihlpy.ATT.COM
Thu May 11 03:24:03 AEST 1989

In article <2358 at csd4.milw.wisc.edu>, dave at csd4.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) writes:
. . .
> For the railnuts reading this, how much of Metrorail is above ground,
> and are any routes "relatively" scenic?
> --
> Dave Rasmussen c/o Computing Services Division @ U of WI - Milwaukee

I don't know about scenic, but I do know that at least one of the
above-ground routes is controversial.  I think it's the line to
Silver Spring - correct me if I'm wrong.  As another respondent noted,
there are places where Metro parallels conventional railroads, and I
remember reading about one or more freight train derailments spilling
across the Metro tracks.  Some people are worried that someday, an
errant box car or tank car will land right on top of a subway car,
doing to the subway car what the stone does to the jar in the old
saying, "whether the jar hits the stone or the stone hits the jar,
'tis bad for the jar."

Carl Blesch