Hospitality suites?

Wendy Thrash wendyt at pyrps5
Sat May 27 07:30:25 AEST 1989

This isn't exactly a Usenix issue, but the Baltimore conference is
coming soon, and . . .

Someone from personnel asked me what people like to find in hospitality
suites.  I told her large quantities of edible food and imported beer,
but it started me wondering: What _do_ hackers want?

Sushi?  Pizza?  Limp vegetables?  Imported beer?  Any old beer?  Fine wines?
Truffles?  Yoyos?  Fluorescent shoelaces?  Little pocket screwdrivers?

What's the function of a hospitality suite, anyway?  Is it supposed to
convince people to come work for your company?  If so, wouldn't it make
more sense to have people there who know something about all the exciting
work the company is doing (if, in fact, it's doing any) than vacuous
types handing out information packets and pizza slices?

Does anyone ever end up working for or buying something from a company
because they go to a hospitality suite?  If not, should I hush it up
rather then risk ending the flow of free goodies? :-)

-Wendy