USENIX Board Studies UUCP

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Thu Nov 23 04:09:48 AEST 1989

In article <48623 at bbn.COM> pplacewa at antares.bbn.com (Paul W Placeway) writes:
> peter at ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> < A dial-up SLIP-type protocol is just too logical (hopefully with packet-
> < level CRC and header compression).

> This would be a Good Way to do things, as long as you have an _eight_
> bit clear channel to speak through.

That's why I said "A SLIP-TYPE PROTOCOL" instead of plain SLIP. I believe
that Matt Dillon's DNET protocol passes IP information through a 7-bit
channel. At least it lets you open sockets at each end. With the right
configuration capability and handshaking you can switch to plain SLIP
where appropriate. And everybody wins.
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva <peter at ficc.uu.net> <peter at sugar.lonestar.org>.
 'U`  --------------  +1 713 274 5180.