USENIX Board Studies UUCP

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Sat Nov 25 03:50:58 AEST 1989

In article <51949 at looking.on.ca> brad at looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>Ease of implementation is important.  We want this to come up on a lot
>of systems, and if we tell everybody to implement IP or X.25, it just makes
>it less likely.

Uh, Brad, IP is not a complex protocol.  Really.  Not like X.25.  Especially
if, as in this situation, you really only need to be able to interoperate
with yourself -- many of the odds and ends in good TCP/IP implementations
boil down to enforcing proper behavior on congested shared networks.

Note also that there are several semi-freeware TCP/IP implementations
already in existence.  There is no need to reinvent the wheel.
--
That's not a joke, that's      |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
NASA.  -Nick Szabo             | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu