USENIX Board Studies UUCP

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Sun Nov 19 10:56:04 AEST 1989

In article <49017 at looking.on.ca> brad at looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>>If you really want a UUCP replacement to catch on, it has to be something
>>that *everyone*, even the folks with nervous lawyers or absolutely no money,
>>can run, and that vendors can distribute without extra paperwork or cost.
>
>You mean like the group III FAX standard?   Yeah, right, a communications
>protocol spoken by machines from hundreds of manufacturers, and you
>actually have to pay for the hardware and/or software?

Brad, note the word "everyone", which was emphasized.  My computer isn't
equipped for sending or receiving FAX.  Nor are most of the others on
Usenet.  Most of us would find it useful, but we can't justify the cost.
Like it or lump it, that is the nature of a large fraction of the UUCP
community.  Our attitude to a costly UUCP replacement will be *exactly*
like our attitude to FAX:  good stuff, but not useful enough to us to
justify the expense.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu