USENIX Board Studies UUCP

Scott Barman scott at nastar.UUCP
Tue Nov 21 06:49:21 AEST 1989

In article <1989Nov19.032449.7940 at world.std.com> bzs at world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:
>2. If we're just talking about transport (maybe even if not) then I
>think the way to go is "tried and true".
>
>How about CSNET's Dial-up IP (or equivalent)?

On this line of thinking, how about a version of SMTP over dial-up lines
to pass mail to different sites.  Just a thought...

>With ISDN coming and cheaper leased line alternatives I suspect most
>people would be better off moving towards WAN protocols that can later
>support them on higher-grade connections.

I recently investigated the cost for us to join the Internet through
Suranet and when I presented it, the response was "yea... sure... talk
to us next year... if we are still in business."  So reguardless of
the pending costs, ISDN and any other WAN is just out of reach for a
lot of people.  And this not only effects me here in the office, but
my machine at home--and I can't afford more than a telephone line!
Just because it's new and nice doesn't mean it's practical.  Hell, I
still know where there are IBM 360s still in use!

>Then everyone can start using NNTP and other existing protocols (ftp
>etc) on top of this transport. It dovetails with existing work.

I think this is what I was suggesting with my SMTP suggestion...  It
might not be practical but it sounds good!

--
scott barman
{gatech, emory}!nastar!scott