Access to UNIX-Related Publications

std-unix at uunet.UU.NET std-unix at uunet.UU.NET
Mon Oct 30 11:31:36 AEST 1989

This is the latest in a series of similar comp.std.unix articles,
intended to give summary information about UNIX-related publications;
to be accurate, but not exhaustive.  It's cross-posted to
comp.org.usenix and comp.unix.questions because there might be
interest there. These articles were originated by John S. Quarterman
of TIC, Austin, Texas. This issue of October 1989 was researched by
Susanne W. Smith of Windsound Consulting, Edmonds, Washington
<sws at calvin.wa.com>.

There are three related articles, posted at the same time as this one,
and with subjects
	Calendar of UNIX-related Events
	Access to UNIX User Groups
	Access to UNIX-Related Standards
The latter is posted only to comp.std.unix.

Corrections and additions to this article are solicited.  I keep track
of the conferences, groups, and publications that I attend, am a member
of, or subscribe to.  All others (the majority of the listings) I derive
either from listings elsewhere, or from contributions by readers.
In particular, the meeting schedules and descriptions of most of the
groups are provided by their members.  If a group doesn't have a
meeting schedule listed, it's because nobody has sent me one.  This is
a low-budget operation:  I publish what I have on hand when the time
comes (approximately monthly).

Changes since last posting: Sun Expert, Multi-User Journal, root,
		   	    UNIX Video Quarterly, Jim Joyce's UNIX Bookstore

Access information is given in this article for the following:
magazines:	CommUNIXations, UNIX REVIEW, UNIX/WORLD, UNIX Today,
		Multi-User Computing Magazine, UNIX Systems, UNIX Magazine,
		The FourGen UNIX Journal, root (InfoPro Systems), Sun Expert,
		Multi-User Journal
newsletters:	;login:, /usr/digest, EUUGN, AUUGN, NUZ
journal:	Computing Systems
bookstores:	Computer Literacy Bookshop, Cucumber Bookshop,
		Jim Joyce's UNIX Book Store, UNIX Book Service,
		Uni-OPs Books
video:		UNIX Video Quarterly

The main general circulation (more than 10,000 copies per issue) magazines
specifically about the UNIX system are:

	UNIX REVIEW
	Miller Freeman Publications Co.
	500 Howard Street
	San Francisco, CA 94105
	U.S.A.
	monthly
	+1-415-397-1881

	UNIX/WORLD
	Tech Valley Publishing
	444 Castro St.
	Mountain View, CA 94041
	U.S.A.
	monthly
	+1-415-940-1500

	UNIX Systems
	Eaglehead Publishing Ltd.
	Maybury Road
	Woking, Surrey GU21 5HX
	England
	+44 48 622 7661

	UNIX Today!
	CMP Publications, Inc.
	600 Community Drive
	Manhasset, NY 11030
	U.S.A.
	newspaper
	subscription information: uunet!utoday!evette
    	+1-516-562-5000

	Multi-User Computing magazine
	Storyplace Ltd.
	42 Colebrook Row
	London  N1 8AF
	England
	+44 1 704 9351

	UNIX Magazine
	Jouji Ohkubo
	c/o ASCII Corp.
	jou-o at ascii.junet
	+81-3-486-4523
	fax: +81-3-486-4520
	telex: 242-6875 ASCIIJ

The USENIX Association publishes a bimonthly newsletter, ``login:
The USENIX Association Newsletter,'' and a quarterly refereed technical
journal, ``Computing Systems: The Journal of the USENIX Association,''
(in cooperation with University of California Press), and an edition
of the 4.3BSD Manuals (with Howard Press).

	USENIX Association
	2560 Ninth St, Suite 215
	Berkeley, CA 94710
	U.S.A.
	+1-415-528-8649

UniForum publishes a biweekly newsletter, /usr/digest,
a bimonthly member magazine, CommUNIXations, and the
UNIX Products Directory.

	UniForum
	2901 Tasman Drive, Suite 201
	Santa Clara, California 95054
	U.S.A.
	+1-408-986-8840

Some of the above information about magazines was taken from the
November/December 1987 issue of CommUNIXations, which also lists
some smaller-circulation magazines and newsletters.

EUUG publishes a quarterly magazine, EUUGN.

	EUUG secretariat
	Owles Hall
	Buntingford
	Herts SG9 9PL
	England
	+44 763 73039
	fax: +44 763 73255
	uunet!mcvax!inset!euug
	euug at inset.co.uk

AUUG publishes a bimonthly newsletter, AUUGN.

	AUUG
	P.O. Box 366
	Kensington
	N.S.W.	2033
	Australia
	uunet!munnari!auug
	auug at munnari.oz.au

NZSUGI publishes a newsletter, NUZ.

	New Zealand UNIX Systems User Group
	P.O. Box 585
	Hamilton
	New Zealand
	+64-9-454000

Dominic Dunlop <domo at sphinx.co.uk> has pointed out several publications
that frequently include articles about the UNIX system or the C language.
I've listed them below; the comments after each entry are his.
I have excluded listings of magazines about specific hardware.

	AT&T Technical Journal
	AT&T Bell Laboratories
	Circulation Dept.
	Room 1K-424
	101 J F Kennedy Parkway
	Short Hills, NJ 07078
	U.S.A.
	Bimonthly
	$40/yr (US); $50/yr (overseas)
	+1 201 564-2582
	While few issues are devoted to UNIX,
	most turn out to mention its applications.

	Byte
	McGraw-Hill Inc.
	Phoenix Mill Lane
	Peterborough, NH 03458
	U.S.A.
	Monthly
	$22/yr (US); $25/yr(Mex,Can); $37/yr (surface); $69/yr (air,Europe)
	+1 603 924-9281
	Concentrates mainly on personal computers,
	but covers low end of UNIX market in some depth.

	The C Users Journal
	``A service of the C Users Group.''
	R&D Publications Inc
	2120 W. 25th St, Suite B
	Lawrence, KS  66046-9972
	U.S.A.
	Eight issues per year
	$20/yr (US/Mex/Can); $30/yr (overseas)
	+1 913 841 1631
	Mainly DOS-oriented; some UNIX.

	Unique
	``The UNIX System Information Source.''
	Infopro Systems
	PO Box 220
	Rescue, CA 95672
	U.S.A.
	Monthly
	$79/yr (US,overseas); $99/yr (air)
	+1 916 677-5870
	High-quality industry newsletter.
	Emphasis on marketing implications of technical developments.

New periodical for Sun and compatible workstation users.

        Sun Expert
        Expert Publishing Group
        1330 Beacon Street
        Brookline, MA 02146
        USA
        subscription information: uunet!expert!circ (circ at expert.com)
        +1-617-739-7001
	Monthly

James B. O'Connor <uunet!fsc2086!jim> provides the following listing:

	The FourGen UNIX Journal
	``The Monthly Newsletter for those Developing,
	  Marketing, or Using UNIX/XENIX Software.''
	FourGen Software, Inc.
	7620 242nd St. S.W.
	Edmonds, WA 98020-5463
	U.S.A.
	$79.95 a year
	+1-206-542-7481
	uunet!4gen!info

David Fiedler <uunet!infopro!david> provides these listings from InfoPro
Systems:

        root
        bimonthly, the Journal of UNIX/Xenix System Administration
	$32 (1 year) or $79 (2 years, includes the book "UNIX System
	Administration" by Fiedler and Hunter)
	Overseas please add $12/year for airmail postage

	UNIX Video Quarterly
	"...available on VHS videotape that covers products, companies,
	people, and trade shows in the UNIX industry.  Subscribers can
	watch hardware 	and software products being put through their paces,
	as well as see and hear actual interviews of vendor representatives."
	Charter subscriptions $195/year.
	First issue due for release end of 1989.

	root & UNIX Video Quarterly
	InfoPro Systems
        PO Box 220
        Rescue, CA 95672-0220
        U.S.A.
        +1-916-677-5870
        Telex: 151296379 INFOPRO
        fax: +1-916-622-9642
        {ames,attmail,pyramid}!infopro!root

Steve Friedl provides these listings:

	Dr. Dobbs Journal of Software Tools
	M&T Publishing, Inc
	501 Galveston Dr.
	Redwood City, CA  94063
	U.S.A.
	+1 415 366 3600
	Mostly DOS, some UNIX, quite technical
	monthly, $29.97 per year

        Multi-User Journal
        Owens-Laing Publications, Ltd.
        P.O. Box 2409
        Redmond, WA  98073-2409
        +1 206 868 0913
        attmail!olp!jou
        quarterly, mostly Sys V-related.  They also publish the
        _3B Journal_ addendum, specializing in the AT&T 3B family.

The following information about bookstores was taken from the
November/December 1987 issue of CommUNIXations.  In the interests of
space, I have arbitrarily limited the selection listed here to those
bookstores or suppliers specifically dedicated to computer books, and
not part of other organizations.  They are listed here in alphabetical
order.

	Computer Literacy Bookshop
	2590 No. First St.
	San Jose, CA 95131