anyone have details of "include" patent?

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at mtndew.Tustin.CA.US
Mon Dec 3 06:22:52 AEST 1990

In article <5495 at berry17.UUCP>, bukovins at motcid.UUCP (Dave Bukovinsky) writes:

> This League is discussed in a very informative article in
> "Dr. Dobb's Journal", November 1990, pp. 56-73. This article discusses
> the history and current status of software patents, and what part the
> League for Programming Freedom is playing.

I need to kick in a few cents here.  I have generally not been in the
RMS/GNU camp on how software should be free and all that, and I suppose
I have always considered them to be a bunch of idealistic college kids.
Not any more.  LPF's paper on software patents was *very* well done,
and it really woke me up -- software patents are A Bad Idea.

Example: patent 4,197,590 covers using XOR to move a cursor across
a screen, and the patent's owner is apparently getting active on
enforcement.

*Everybody* should read this.  Write to league at prep.ai.mit.edu for more info.

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY  /  3B2-kind-of-guy  /  Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561  / friedl at mtndew.Tustin.CA.US  / {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

"If it doesn't core dump, ship it" - Gary W. Keefe, on product development