List of Usenix Conference BoFs in D.C.

Sonya Neufer sonya at usenix.UUCP
Wed Jan 10 11:57:25 AEST 1990

In article <4815 at emory.mathcs.emory.edu> km at mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>Can someone post the current schedule of USENIX BOFS?

This is the USENIX BoF schedule so far.  Most likely there will be others
and I will try to post an update in a week.

Tuesday, January 23rd

 5:30 - 6pm

    Conference Overview/Orientation

	All conference attendees and especially newcomers, are invited
	to attend this orientation session in the Ambassador room.
	Topics to be covered include:  BOF's, WIP's, receptions, places
	to meet and where to leave messages, the Press and Terminal
	rooms, hotel layout and information about the Association's
	activities.  Come join the group for an informative half hour!

 6pm -  8pm

    OSF Update  --  Peter Salus, Open Software Foundation

 8pm - 10pm

    AFS Technology Discussion & Update  --  Elizabeth Hines,
                     Product Support Manager, File Systems, Transarc Corp.

        Transarc AFS 3.0 is a distributed file system that allows users
        to easily share and access files anywhere on a network. AFS
        scales to thousands of users and is transparent, fast and
        secure, while operating within heterogeneous environments.
        This session will provide current and potential users the
        opportunity to talk with Transarc designers in-depth about AFS,
        and at the same time supply input to Transarc as to how users
        view the key issues in distributed computing.

    GNU Project  (GNU's not UNIX)  --  Len Tower, Free Software Foundation
                                                  & Boston Univ.

	A chance to meet past, present and future GNU contributors; and
	to get questions answered about the project and the Free
        Software Foundation.

    SURAnet  --  Dave O'Leary, SURA

        The SURAnet BOF is intended primarily for SURAnet users and
        site technical contacts.  Anyone interested in internetworking
        is more than welcome to attend.  Discussion will center on
        current developments in SURAnet, for example the status of the
        T1 line upgrades, the transition to OSPF as a routing protocol,
        and new external network connections.

Wednesday, January 24th

 6pm -  8pm

    Usenix get-together

 8pm - 10pm

    AT&T UNIX PC/3B1/PC7300 Software and Hardware Discussions
           Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Software Systems and  Gil Kloepfer, Jr.

       This BOF will be focused on the "AT&T UNIX PC" (aka. 3B1 and
       PC7300), a product that AT&T no longer sells, and barely
       supports.  Software discussions will include some demonstrations
       on the actual hardware, as well as, details on surviving with
       only support from fellow UNIX PC owners.  There will also be
       some hardware modifications demonstrated that can be made to
       enhance your machine further than AT&T ever envisioned.  The
       future of the UNIX PC, and how it can be utilized to its fullest
       in both hardware and software, will be our major topics.
       Informal discussion on various other topics generally do come
       up.

    VEX: Video Extension To X  --  Jeff Glover, Tektronix, Inc.

	The Video Extension to X (VEX) is an effort to standardize the
	functionality of television-resolution video.  In particular,
	video input, video output and control of external video
	devices.  VEX allows applications to express this control from
	completely within an X client.  Jeff Glover will present an
	introduction to and referee discussion on the topic.

    NNTP Managers/Usenet Software Issues  --  Elliot Lear, IntelliGenetics

	This BoF is open to all who wish to attend, but an understanding of
	the issues to be discussed will be crucial.  Archives for the
	NNTP-MANAGERS mailing list are available on Internet host
	UCBARPA.BERKELEY.EDU via anonymous FTP.  Discussions that have been
	hot on the NNTP-MANAGERS list, and in particular the bit hierarchy
	will likely cover a major portion of this BoF.  A second topic will
	include new developments in software, standards, and corresponding
	problems; Software Developers working with the news software (the
	user interface mailing list).  Status of C-News, News 3.0, and any
	new news readers.  As well, with some luck, Brian Kantor will have
	a draft version of the NNTP spec ready for perusal.  Somewhere along
	the way, traffic statistics will be mentioned.

    UNIX Standards  --  John Quarterman, Texas Internet Consulting  &
                        Dominic Dunlop, The Standard Answer, Ltd.

	Recent developments in standards related to the UNIX system
	and what USENIX and EUUG plan to do about it.

Thursday, January 25th

 5:45pm -  6:30pm

    Open Board Meeting  --  The Usenix Association Board

 6pm -  8pm

    UUNET/USENET
    Leader: Rick Adams, UUNET Communications

	UUNET Communications Services is a non-profit organization that
	provides timely access to USENET news, UUCP mail, UNIX source
	archives, and many standards (including the Internet RFCs and
	comp.std.archives).  UUNET also offers its 600 megabytes of
	UNIX source archives via magnetic tape, as well as providing
	equipment discounts to its subscribers.

	USENET is a broadcast network.  Participants read and write
	"articles" and "post" them to the appropriate group.  USENET
	includes hundreds of news groups, including computer, science,
	recreations, news, talk, and more.  As USENET continues its
	rapid growth, it must be "managed" so that the network does not
	die under its own weight.

	This BoF discusses both USENET and UUNET developments and futures.

 8pm - 10pm

    4BSD Update  --  Kirk McKusick/Mike Karels, UCB

        We will provide a brief status report on Berkeley UNIX
        including OSI/ISO networking and VFS/NFS. Most of the
        session will be devoted to questions from the audience.
        We will NOT be announcing any release dates for 4.4BSD.

    Bitnet & UNIX  --  Michael Hrybyk

    Extensible Virtual Toolkit (XVT) --  Marc Rochkind/Carol Meyer, API

      Experiences implementing a portable windowing interface on the
      Motif toolkit

      In this BoF we will present our experiences implementing the
      Extensible Virtual Toolkit (XVT) on the Motif Toolkit. We will
      focus on areas where Motif was able to successfully support
      portable abstractions, as well as some of the interesting
      problems we encountered and how we were able to solve them. First
      we'll describe the mapping of XVT concepts to Motif, then we'll
      explain our use of Motif widgets to support this. There are
      implementations of XVT for several other popular window systems,
      so some comparisons of these may be interesting, or perhaps a
      discussion of some of the problems associated with programming
      portably across window systems.