AT&T UNIX PC/3B1/PC7300 BOF Scheduled for 1990 Winter USENIX

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
Fri Jan 5 10:42:21 AEST 1990

It's all set!  Sonya (of the USENIX Association) and I spoke today, and
there doesn't appear to be anything stopping the birds-of-a-feather
meeting scheduled now for:

                 Wednesday, January, 24, 1990 from 8PM to 10PM

>From what I'm told this is directly following the USENIX Reception.

                             What's going to go on?

Well for starters, it's going to be software and hardware discussions about
a poor little machine, known to us by many names (3B1, PC7300, S/50, and
UNIX PC), that is no longer being sold or supported (fully) by _AT&T_.

The following topics, plus more can be discussed (if the demand warrants it) ...

	The ICUS plans to install two hard drives, bigger hard drives,
	P5.1, WD2010s, seek time performance, Voice Power boards,
	Tape drives, networking, sockets library, Botton's VIDPAL upgrade
	and uses, the Fix Disk 2.0 (will it ever be released from AT&T),
	X windows port, replacing software written by AT&T on your machine
	with public domain based software, porting other operating system
	versions (is it possible and/or feasible?), removing a 3B1 from
	it's "custom" case and making another "custom" one, AT&T hotline
	support, possibility of a UNIX pc Newsletter, etc...  Other
	topics are almost guaranteed to come up in the informal
	discussions...

                 Demonstrations (hardware and software wise)...

Gil and I are bringing hardware down with us.  Yes, I've decided to brave
the 5 hour drive from New York to Washington DC (assuming the weather stays
on our side).   Most likely we'll have two 3B1's there, my other development
machine (icusdvlp), and Gil's other (pretzel).  Other hardware that will
be installed is Voice Power boards and if time is on our side, the ICUS 2nd
hard drive expansion board.    Also installed for demonstration purposes
is Brian Botton's VIDPAL board.   We can open up my machine to give those
who don't know, a quick lesson, as well as showing off Brian's work.

There will be some voice power demonstrations, and graphics demonstrations,
but at this time I'm not at liberty to go into detail [sort of a
non-disclosure agreement between friends :-)] as well as other good to come!

One machine will be there for the customary public domain software
swapping.

BTW: If you are coming, please let me know I'd like to get an informal count
on who might attend.  If you are coming, and have stuff to contribute either
vocally or visually, please contact me ASAP.

-Lenny
--
| Lenny Tropiano            ICUS Software Systems      lenny at icus.islp.ny.us |
| {ames,pacbell,decuac,hombre,sbcs,attctc}!icus!lenny     attmail!icus!lenny |