list inexpensive hotels and hostels for conferences

Leonard H. Tower Jr. tower at buita.bu.edu
Wed Jul 11 03:12:20 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul7.230338.5702 at zoo.toronto.edu> henry at zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
|There may be a problem doing this for Dallas:  the Grand Kempinski (sp?)
|is off by itself, well away from any other hotels.  (The prime Dallas hotel
|district is solidly booked for Uniforum... one disadvantage of trying to
|put the winter conference in the same city as them.)

USENIX offered the Marriot Quorum as well as the Grand Kempinski
(Henry got it spelt right ;-) in 1988.  The Quorum was 5 minutes
walking distance which included crossing a very busy main street and
doing without sidewalks half the way.  Cabs didn't seem to hang out at
the Hotels in Dallas and the Inter-hotel shuttle service took 10-15
minutes on average (and shut down mid-evening), so walking was always
quicker (even in the snowstorm!).  The Quorum was also about $15.00
cheaper a night, had a nicer pool (though no hot tub), and the
restaurants were not crowded at breakfast.  The staff was pleasant and
courteous throughout my stay.

There was also an overflow hotel two miles away.  I remember little of
what I heard about it, except that it was far away!

I did without a car at the last Dallas USENIX.  The Airport limo
service was adequate, the shuttle service to UniForum was good enough,
and vegetarian restaurants were almost non existent (we'll see if this
has changed in January).

enjoy -len

PS about Mormons.  I have never met a Mormon who was pushy or rude
about his beliefs.  Most, after knowing you for a while, will try once
to interest you in their faith.  They are much less evangelical than
many of the other Protestant faiths (yes I know about their missionary
program and two years of service).

I very much doubt that the problems we had at the Anahiem Marriot were
caused by the Marriot's family religion.  It's much more likely they
had a very bad convention experience the week before.