Obtaining the UKUUG Conference Proceedings

Berry Kercheval berry at lll-crg.llnl.gov
Tue Jul 31 07:25:14 AEST 1990

In article <3133 at syma.sussex.ac.uk> andy at syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) writes:
>From article <3060 at skye.ed.ac.uk>, by richard at aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin):
>> Like everything else associated with this conference, the price of the
>> proceedings is ridiculous (50 pounds ~= $80). [...]
>> Technically, the conference was very good.  But where is all the money
>> going?
>
>Presumably to pay for (a) the hire of the Lancaster Gate Hotel for the
>week, (b) the hire of Tower Bridge for the "banquet" (actually a rather
>cramped buffet with hardly anywhere to sit), (c) the production costs of
>the various freebies (EUUG umbrella, Instruction Set T-shirt etc.) and
>maybe (d) fees for the distinguished speakers (Ritchie, Kernighan et al)?

At the conference, Sunil Das (the conference chair) told me that the
Royal Lancaster was charging 50 pounds per delegate per day!   This is
on top of over 100 pounds per night to actually stay there!  Admittedly,
the lunches were the best I've seen at a large conference, but it does
seem a bit steep.  I had the good fortune to be one of the Distinguished
(blush) Tutorial presenters, and even with the (quite generous) fee the UKUUG
kindly offered I couldn't afford to stay at the hotel.  My wife and I were
lucky enough to find that an instructor at the college I teach at part-time
has a flat in Battersea that we could let for the week.

Now we're back home in California, and while it's good to be home, I
find myself wishing I could nip around to the Swan for a pint with my
new friends....

  --berry

bERRY Kercheval :: berry at lll-crg.llnl.gov
"When I had no wings to fly, you flew to me..."