hotel distances

Henry Spencer henry at zoo.toronto.edu
Sun Jul 15 09:35:29 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul12.144038.2883 at dhw68k.cts.com> david at dhw68k.cts.com (David H. Wolfskill) writes:
>>...distances between hotels should be specified in walking minutes ...
>
>Considering differences among the human population, I would prefer that
>the distances in question were specified in some reasonably standard
>"distance" units...

Most of the seriously non-standard :-) members of the population have
some sort of idea about how their walking speed compares to the norm.
The point is, walking minutes is what people *care* about; anything else
requires them to convert, and many people don't have a very good feel
for how long it takes them to walk, say, 57 furlongs. :-)
--
NFS:  all the nice semantics of MSDOS, | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
and its performance and security too.  |  henry at zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry