Summary of responses regarding Jim Joyces Unix Bookstore

Ulrich Lauther lauther at janus.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Jul 12 09:57:35 AEST 1990

In article <CBL4P_G at xds8.ferranti.com> jeffd at ficc.ferranti.com (jeff daiell) writes:
[original quote deleted]

>Many of those countries are small enough that books can get from
>publisher to bookstore pretty quickly.  Here, however, the publisher
>may be in New York, and the bookstore in Hilo, Hawaii, so a quick
>delivery by moped is out.

This does not really explain the situation. Of course I would understand
and accept a delay which growths linearly with the size of the country,
translating 24 hours into a few days, but not into weeks. In the countries
I was referring to, the bookstore does not have to go to the publisher,
rather there is an efficient network of dealers inbetween.

Probably this should be carried on - if at all - in another newsgroup.

Ulrich Lauther               Internet: lauther at janus.berkeley.edu
Siemens / UCB                ph: +1 415 642 3338 fax: 642 2739
				 +1 415 658 8529 home