hotel distances

David H. Wolfskill david at dhw68k.cts.com
Fri Jul 13 00:40:38 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul10.024932.24563 at zoo.toronto.edu> henry at zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>...distances between hotels should be specified in walking minutes ... (or
>unless walking is inadvisable for reasons more compelling than weather,
>in which case said reasons should at least be hinted at).

Considering differences among the human population, I would prefer that
the distances in question were specified in some reasonably standard
"distance" units.  (Granted, "walking minutes" may be "reasonably
standard" for some folks....  :-)

Anyone for meters?

I second the suggestion regarding (at least) "hinting at" reasons to
avoid walking (although "weather" might be worth mentioning) -- I
attended a conference (not USENIX, for which all concerned may be
appropriately thankful) in August of a recent year in Orlando, Florida
(USA)....  The conference was spread out over several hotels, and the
organizers had arranged a shuttle service; unfortunately, the timing
for the shuttles with respect to the timing and locations of some of
the sessions didn't quite work out always....  I managed to walk from
the Peabody over to the Sheraton -- but I certainly wouldn't wish that
on anyone.  (No sidewalks; the mud was not particularly pleasant for
walking, in my opinion; distance was about 800 meters -- about 0.5
miles.  I was not a particularly happy camper....)

Toward better conferences,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill