Obtaining the UKUUG Conference Proceedings

Henry Spencer henry at zoo.toronto.edu
Wed Jul 25 22:16:57 AEST 1990

In article <5283 at castle.ed.ac.uk> tjc at castle.ed.ac.uk (A J Cunningham) writes:
>>Like everything else associated with this conference, the price of the
>>proceedings is ridiculous (50 pounds ~= $80).  The comparably-sized
>>proceedings of the ACM Lisp conference a couple of weeks earlier cost
>>$26 to non-members...
>
>	Richard, I don't think this is an entirly fair comparison. The
>ACM is an incredibly wealthy organisation and can probably afford to
>sponsor both the event and the publication of proceedings...

ACM is a well-financed organization... but it did not get that way by
subsidizing events and proceedings!  ACM conferences and the like are
normally expected to at least recoup their expenses.  Their publications
most certainly are not sold at a loss.
--
NFS:  all the nice semantics of MSDOS, | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
and its performance and security too.  |  henry at zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry