Anaheim Usenix Attendees (Opinions)

Muffy Barkocy muffy at eris.berkeley.edu
Sun Jul 1 06:11:55 AEST 1990

In article <JTKOHL.90Jun30130136 at lycus.MIT.EDU> jtkohl at MIT.EDU (John T Kohl) writes:
>The Marriott management was *EXTREMELY* rude to pool/hottub goers on
>(Wed? Thurs?) night;  Ellie Young was there and quite p.o.'ed at them.
>
>I'll write more when I get time; surely others who read this group were
>with us in the hot tub and can comment as well.

I was also in the hot tub (Thursday night) with a couple of friends.  I
must say that the hotel people were slightly more polite than they were
on Wednesday night, when I was talking to a friend in the area around the
bar, and other friends were in the bar.  The bar closed; we were trying
to arrange how to get together later, since no one wanted to go to sleep
at only 2 am (*grin*)...hotel security came over and was *very* hostile.
Not even, "sorry, we have a policy about people staying here after the bar
closes, could you please finish up and leave".  It was more like "If
you're not a guest of the hotel, get out now.  If you are a guest (which
we doubt), prove it."  I heard that after they finished kicking
non-guests out, they also kicked guests up to their rooms, but I missed
that because we decided to just head for the room anyway.

The most amusing part in the hot tub, I think, was when they suggested that
*we* would be embarrassed by any publicity about the incident.  The silliest
part was when they called the Anaheim police (who never actually came over
to the hot tub).  I think the real action was with the skinny-dippers by the
pool.

I understand from friends of mine who attended Westercon at the same hotel
last year that they were much more reasonable then.  And con people are much
weirder than conference people...and they stay up all night, too.

Muffy