Obtaining the UKUUG Conference Proceedings

Andy Clews andy at syma.sussex.ac.uk
Tue Jul 24 20:05:49 AEST 1990

>From article <3060 at skye.ed.ac.uk>, by richard at aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin):
> Like everything else associated with this conference, the price of the
> proceedings is ridiculous (50 pounds ~= $80). [...]
> Technically, the conference was very good.  But where is all the money
> going?

Presumably to pay for (a) the hire of the Lancaster Gate Hotel for the
week, (b) the hire of Tower Bridge for the "banquet" (actually a rather
cramped buffet with hardly anywhere to sit), (c) the production costs of
the various freebies (EUUG umbrella, Instruction Set T-shirt etc.) and
maybe (d) fees for the distinguished speakers (Ritchie, Kernighan et al)?

Previous UKUUGs have been held at Universities at much lower cost and
have been just as informative (if perhaps less impressive). Why the
sudden "upmarket" leap, I wonder. I too agree that 50 quid for a copy of
the proceedings is preposterous. It was wonderful to see Ritchie et al,
but I question the necessity of the silly freebies and the hire of Tower
Bridge, even if it was a bit of fun.

--
Andy Clews, Computing Service, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QN, England
JANET: andy at syma.sussex.ac.uk   BITNET: andy%syma.sussex.ac.uk at uk.ac