list inexpensive hotels and hostels for conferences

David A Rasmussen dave at csd4.csd.uwm.edu
Sat Jul 7 08:50:13 AEST 1990

>From article <1501 at ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP>, by maa at ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark A Allyn):
>
> I would like to propose to Usenix that they also list the YMCA's,
> American Youth Hotels, and the like as well. In addition, since almost
> all of the conferences have people from the local universities involved,
> why not make arrangements to allow attendees to use the univiersity
> dormatories. This should be particularly easy for those conferences
> happening during the summer months when school is not in session and the
> dormatories are not in use.

I would like to second your suggestion.

My employer doesn't pick up the tab for us anymore. (my boss picks up the
tab for himself, but what can I say...). So I booked a room at the Convention
Center Inn, which was a tad closer to the Marriott than the Inn at the Park,
and about $15 less per night as well. It was also clean and secure. I also
split the room with another usenix attendee from usenix.roomshare.

Sonya Neufer's creation of comp.org.usenix.roomshare (a few conferences ago)
aided me in sharing the room. Perhaps those of us who use that group for
future conferences can get other housing alternatives dealt with there.
I also try to get to a travel agent and run down the list of hotels near the
conference center before I come and see what I can save, although again it
would be helpful if someone in the area would do this in advance. Any
volunteers for Dallas?

--
Internet:dave at uwm.edu, Uucp:uwm!dave, Bitnet:dave%uwm.edu at INTERBIT
AT&T:414-229-5133 USnail:Dave Rasmussen-CSD,Box 413 EMS380,Milwaukee,WI 53201