list inexpensive hotels and hostels for conferences

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Mon Jul 9 10:18:07 AEST 1990

From: bob at MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield)
>At the Sun User Group in Miami Beach a coupla Decembers ago, quite a
>few conferees were in another hotel a block or so away.  Except that
>there weren't really blocks involved, just a lovely moonlight or early
>morning hike down the beach that nobody minded at all.  We were never
>kicked out of anything, including the conference hotel's nifty
>pool/grotto that was far nicer than our hotel's pool.

Several SUG Board of Directors and the SUG Executive Director were
thrown out of the Fountainbleu's "Poodle Room" (I think that's the
name of their fancy-schmancy hot-pink and black -1 star restaurant)
during that conference. I was among them, we were really trying to
do some planning (it was the first night.)

They wanted to recycle the table faster and got exceedingly rude after
an exceedingly short time (like, the rude jerk maitre'd (tm) almost
apologized when he realized that we really weren't quite done with
dessert and coffee, but decided to stick to his guns and be rude
anyhow.)

I told him that he was an asshole (that was the term I remember
using), but it didn't seem to come as any surprise to him.

Never again.

Yeah, the walk on the beach was nice (meaning: the F-bleu somehow
couldn't get the board into the main hotel...so the board has nothing
to recommend if they ever wanted us to go there again, which isn't
likely anyhow.)
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | {xylogics,uunet}!world!bzs | bzs at world.std.com