USENIX and South Africa

Jim Williams SYSGROUP williams at nssdcs.gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Jun 8 03:41:11 AEST 1990

Would it be appropos for all sides of this issue to be discussed in an
article in ;login: ?  If, indeed, it is an issue of "should we spend
money fighting our Government's stupid rules", then perhaps that aritcle
could suggest ways in which members (individual and corporate) who find
the situation intolerable could put pressure on their representatives to
change things.  Who are the most important Congress-critters?  What
commitees?  That sort of thing.  That way, we as individuals could make
up our own minds as to how much we want to get involved.  I'm not saying
that Usenix should or should not spend money on this.  I am saying that
it seems entirely appropriate to me that Usenix use its publications
to educate its membership on an issue relevant to the organization,
and give them information on what they can do, if they choose.  Such an
article could also be used by the Board to to get some sense of how the
membership at large feels about this.

Spoken: Jim Williams             Domain: williams at nssdcs.gsfc.nasa.gov
Phone: +1-301-555-1212           UUCP:   uunet!mimsy!williams
USPS: NASA/GSFC, Code 633, Greenbelt, MD 20771
Motto: There is no 'd' in "kluge"!  It rhymes with "deluge", not "sludge".