Anaheim Terminal Room Update

Leonard H. Tower Jr. tower at buita.bu.edu
Fri Jun 8 05:51:13 AEST 1990

In article <BOB.90Jun7143832 at volitans.MorningStar.Com> bob at MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
|In article <371 at usenix.ORG> sonya at usenix.ORG (Sonya Neufer) writes:
|   ... NCD terminals ... a Xylogics terminal server ...
|   WRITE DOWN YOUR SYSTEM's INTERNET NUMBER and carry it with you, if
|   you plan to log in over the Internet.
|
|Those boxes don't resolve domain names?  How quaint!

The Terminal Room has had working DNS resolvers in the past.  I expect
it will this time.

But bringing your SYSTEM's INTERNET NUMBER is still wise advice.
Practically, terminal room users have been able to telnet to their
home hosts with it's Internet number, at times when its Internet DNS
name has not been resolvable.

To understand why, I suggest you study the relevant specs, figure out
likely failure modes, and try to run an operation like the Terminal
Room, or a Conference Show net to really gain an understanding of
likely failure modes.

thanx -len (a very happy Terminal Room user)