What's a Usenix Conference like?

Mark Brown mbrown at osf.org
Thu Jun 7 23:03:00 AEST 1990

In article <KARL.90Jun6160305 at giza.cis.ohio-state.edu>,
karl_kleinpaste at cis.ohio-state.edu writes:
> smb at ulysses.att.com writes:
>
> At January Usenix in DC, I was walking out of the IBM hospitality
> suite at one point with a couple of friends, heading for a BOF, I
> believe.  As we headed out the door, the realization hit me of just
> how many suits were standing around the room, and how out of place
>
> Don't wear a suit.  Not even once.  IBM is coming along, but haven't
> _quite_ yet figured out that you don't send marketroids to Usenix
> conferences.  Their "trinkets and trash" have improved remarkably (IBM

We tech-types are *working* on the problem, surely we are...but sometimes it's
like steering an aircraft carrier with a canoe paddle. :-)

We might even have a *real* internet connection one-of-these-days....

DISCLAIMER: I don't speak for IBM. They don't make me wear ties.
Mark Brown   IBM AWD / OSF  | Invisible airwaves crackle with life
The Good     mbrown at osf.org |   Bright antennae bristle with the energy
The Bad     uunet!osf!mbrown| Emotional feedback, on a timeless wavelength
The Ugly     (617) 621-8981 |   Bearing a gift beyond price - almost free.