USENIX and South Africa

George Neville-Neil gnn at spike.ai.mit.edu
Fri Jun 8 06:06:15 AEST 1990

In article <13072 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:

>  .......................  Clearly profession technical
>   societies do not even come close to being able to properly make such a
>   determination.  Therefore, if they attempt to meddle in such affairs it
>   is most likely that their actions will be totally inappropriate, judged
>   by objective standards.  Much better to leave these affairs to those
>   whose primary job it is to deal with them.

FLAME ON :

	Bull !! All associations are made up of people, and in a
democracy it is the people who decide.  Just because someone is
"trained" to be a politician/lawmaker/foreign relations person does
not mean that they have anny better grip of any political situation.
It does mean that they know how to get elected and stay there but that
is all.  There isn't an institution on Earth that can reliably teach
someone enough psychology/socioligy/politics/esp to deal with real
politics.  Witness the foreign policy failures of successive countries
administrations since 1900.  Or even further back.

	I for one support the idea that everyone get involved.  The
more data you have the less likely that one error will skew you too
far from the truth.  In this vein the more minds are turned towards a
problem the better the solution.  Parallel processing you know :-)

	I take offense at your statement sir and believe that you are
sorely mistaken.

FLAME OFF :

	Sorry about that but it really got under my skin.

	I think we should see what we can do to help these people in
SA if they are anti-apartheid.  Has anyone considered setting a vote
up in USENIX for this ??

				Later
				George