USENIX SUMMER 1991 Technical Conference & Exhibition

Craig Jackson drilex1 dricejb at drilex.UUCP
Thu Apr 18 01:55:27 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr15.232504.26382 at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> fuat at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Fuat C. Baran) writes:

>>HOTEL REGISTRATION DEADLINE
>>Monday, May 6, 1991
>
>I just called Shoney's Inn (the one "across the street" from Opryland
>Hotel).  They are all booked for that week.
>
>I don't know if the people planning USENIX were aware of the
>"International Country Music Fan Fair" being held at the same time,
>when they decided on Nashville as the location, though they do mention
>it in the registration packet (which I just received).  Seems to me a
>better time/place could have been picked.  Also, did hotels rates
>recently increase dramatically, or is it just the Nashville hotels
>that are so expensive?

I was in Nashville for a conference at the Opryland last October, and
found that there are about a dozen cheap motels outside the gate
of the Opryland hotel.  The Shoney's is just one of them.
I paid $36/night at a place that used to be a Best Western.  It wasn't
great, but it beat $100+ at the Opryland.  It was about 1/2 mile walk.
I believe that it was on Music Center Drive.

I don't remember all the names, but their was a Ramada, and something
with International in the name.

Note that it's about 1/4 mile walk from the Opryland Hotel to the street.
They've got thoroughbreds grazing alongside the entrance road.

BTW, the food is cheap outside the Opryland, too.  The Shoney's has a
great breakfast buffet.  Deep-fried French toast--absolutely sinful.
Plus a lot of other decent Southern cooking.

Note: I was there out season, when Opryland was only open on weekends.
Undoubtedly things will be pricier in June; in addition, expect
lots of kids.

Opryland itself is a decent amusement park, with lots of water rides.
The entrance reminded me a bit of Tivoli in Copenhagen.

Of course, all true fans should be there for the Opry on Saturday night.
Shows are at 6:30 and 9:00; you had better call now to get tickets.

--
Craig Jackson
dricejb at drilex.dri.mgh.com
{bbn,axiom,redsox,atexnet,ka3ovk}!drilex!{dricej,dricejb}