Call for Papers: Large Installation Systems Administration

Elizabeth Zwicky zwicky at erg.sri.com
Wed Apr 10 13:25:13 AEST 1991

	CALL FOR PAPERS
            LISA V

We are looking for papers to be presented at the fifth Usenix
conference on Large Installation System Administration, which will be
held September 30 through October 3 in San Diego, California. The LISA
conferences address topics of interest to people administering large
UNIX sites.  Previously, attempts have been made to define "large" in
terms of number of machines, gigabytes of disk, or users. We feel that
it is more fruitful to define a large installation as one that has
problems that cannot be solved by simply scaling up well-understood
solutions used on single machines with few users.

We are particularly interested in papers which take a theoretical or
comparative attitude, presenting discussions of the relative merits of
various approaches to problems. As always, we welcome presentation of
specific solutions to specific problems, where they advance the state
of the art. We also welcome papers discussing "non-technical" problems
dealing with users and management.

Topics of interest include but are not limited to:

	Strategies for managing data - file migration, archive
systems, backup systems
	Security issues, especially where multiple people are
privileged users
	Human issues of administration
	Integration of heterogenous systems
	Usage monitoring and accounting systems
	Administration of remote sites
	Network monitoring
	Queuing systems

Papers should be from 5 to 15 pages in length, including diagrams,
figures, etc. Complete papers are due by July 8, 1991; the committee
will consider and comment on extended abstracts or outlines submitted
by June 17th, but may require full papers to be submitted before a
final decision is made.

Deadline for extended abstracts or outlines: 6/17/91
Submission deadline: 7/8/91
Authors notified: 7/29/91

Program committee:

  Steve Romig, Ohio State University
  Bjorn Satdeva, /sys/admin Inc.
  Steve Simmons, Industrial Technology Institute
  Pat Wilson, Dartmouth University

For more information, please contact the program chair:
	Elizabeth D. Zwicky
	zwicky at erg.sri.com

	415-859-3290 (9 am to 6 pm Pacific time)

	SRI International
	333 Ravenswood Ave.
	Menlo Park, CA 94025