W91 USENIX in retrospect

Brad Templeton brad at looking.on.ca
Mon Feb 4 18:31:33 AEST 1991

Well, for unknown reasons the Marriott was willing to let me cater my
own suite during USENIX.   Thus I kept everybody happy for a pittance
compared to hotel catering charges with a keg and bottles of different
beers, a bathtub of ice and various munchies.

The problem was the 9 minute walk to the alternate hotel, of course.
It occurs to me that it might be worth encouraging USENIX to look for
hotels that are more amenable to this sort of thing.   Almost *any*
hotel is amenable if it makes the difference in getting a convention.

(Admittedly some hotels have sworn off SF conventions, which are major
consumers of non-catered suite space.)

Based on what IBM pays to host their suite, it could offer USENIX a
multi-thousand dollar bribe to pick a hotel that allows self-catered
suites, and still save money!

Usenix folk are interested in neat new technology, nice toys, and
interesting and tasty things to eat and drink.   They have little
concern for fancy service, bartenders in tuxedos and armies of waiters.