Receptions outside the hotel (Was: W91 USENIX in retrospect)

Peter Salus peter at world.std.com
Thu Feb 7 01:18:36 AEST 1991

In article <73977 at bu.edu.bu.edu> tower at bu-it.bu.edu (Leonard H. Tower Jr.) writes:
>In article <210 at canstar.UUCP> sonya at canstar.UUCP (Sonya D. Neufer) writes:
>|For Example, I have heard the suggestion that the USENIX
>|"get-together" should be held outside the conference hotel.
>
>2 points:
>
>1) The reception should only be held outside the Hotel, when there is a
>real interesting or nifty place near by, that makes it worth while to
>move 2,000 people several miles and spend the $$$.
>
>* The Exploratorium in San Francisco was perfect.  I hope USENIX does
>a repeat in January 1992.
>
>* The "Dude Ranch" Amusement Park in Phoenix was interesting, but
>marginal.

Just to keep the record (close to) straight:
	There were over 3000 in SF in 1988.  The busing from the
	Hilton to the Exploratorium was expensive, but not
	prohibitive.

As someone who was involved, but is not at present, my feeling
is that in the event that there is an interesting excursion
possible (like the Exploratorium), USENIX should take advantage.
However, it is important to note that very few places will permit
receptions of over 1500.  The Hirschhorn Gallery and the Aerospace
Museum (in DC) both have far lower limits.  There was talk once of
renting a riverboat in Cincy or NO, but it would mean two boats
and what are the bets on folks wanting (while afloat) to switch?
The Computer Museum in Boston wouldn't permit such a large crowd,
either.  The Science Musuem in Boston might, but I'm unsure.  I've
set up dinners/meetings in both places in 1989, but they were <200.

Peter
--
The difference between practice and theory in practice is always
greater than the difference between practice and theory in theory.