Attendance in Dallas to be way down?

Rick Adams rick at uunet.uu.net
Thu Jan 17 06:24:20 AEST 1991

If one was really concerned about impending war affecting their
travel plans, they would probably:

1) take any trip that they had already gotten approval for. Future
trips might be effected, but not current ones.

2) Love the excuse to get out of high profile places (E.g. Washington, DC)
for low profile places. I'm rather confident that USENIX/UNIFORUM in
Dallas is rather low on your favorite terrorists list of targets.

If anything, I would expect an increase in attendence from the
"travel while you can crowd".

I can't see events 5,000 miles away affecting travel plans. A depressed
economy and expensive airfares are whats contributing to empty
airplanes more than fear of terrorists.

While current events might makme me think twice about visiting the
Pentagon, its not a consideration for going to Dallas.

My big fear for Dallas is that there's an ice storm and some Texan who
doens't know how to drive on ice runs me down.

-rick