Why not pick *nice* places for the Usenix conventions?

Peter Salus peter at sug.std.com
Wed Jun 26 23:56:57 AEST 1991

In article <876 at taniwha.UUCP> paul at taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) writes:
>In article <BZS.91Jun23184600 at world.std.com> bzs at world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:
>>Actually, all sites are subject to change, of course, if something
>>disasterous occurs.

With all the discussion of the heat and humidity and surroundings,
I'd like to insert an entirely different criterion into the
decision process.  After the barbaric behavior of the Chicago
police at the 1968 National Convention, the Modern Language
Association, the Linguistic Society of America, and many other
organizations refrained from meeting in Chicago until Mayor
Daley (Sr.) and his cronies were gone.  Similar action was taken
where the states voting against the ERA were concerned.

I'm horrified that USENIX will be meeting in New Orleans, in a
state that has the most repressive view of women's right to
choice of all the fifty states.

I'm as uncomfortable as everyone else in the heat, but I find
socio-political attitudes excessively chilling.

Peter