Why not pick *nice* places for the Usenix conventions?

Leonard Len H. Tower Jr. tower at buita.bu.edu
Sat Jun 29 07:18:45 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun26.135657.21093 at world.std.com> peter at sug.std.com (Peter Salus) writes:
|I'm horrified that USENIX will be meeting in New Orleans, in a
|state that has the most repressive view of women's right to
|choice of all the fifty states.
|
|I'm as uncomfortable as everyone else in the heat, but I find
|socio-political attitudes excessively chilling.

I concur with Peter.  Inserting millions of dollars into the economy
of a state whose government (and people) has one of the most
repressive view of women's, non-white race's, homosexual's, et al
rights is insensitive and irresponsible.  Such choices should not be
rewarded.

I urge the Board to reconsider this decision and select a site
elsewhere.  And let other organizations know why.  Hopefully, it's not
too late to break the contract.

thanx -len