Why not pick *nice* places for the Usenix conventions?

Dave Sill de5 at ornl.gov
Mon Jun 24 23:03:45 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun22.192721.11468 at ircam.fr>, fingerhu at ircam.fr (Michel Fingerhut) writes:
>Now that I got your attention...  I would much prefer Usenix to take place in
>the heart of a nice, populated city, with a convention center say, rather than
>in an isolated (i.e., suburbs) gigantic hotel which requires one to rent a car
>in order to go anywhere rather than use one's legs.

You can't please all of the folks all of the time.

>I understand that for some (obscure) reason international Usenix conventions
>have to be held in mainland USA (rather than in Canada or Mexico, say, or more
>exotic places).

It probably has something to do with the geographic center of gravity
of the USENIX membership, i.e., most USENIX members are in the U.S..
I doubt I'd be able to get approval for international travel for a
USENIX conference.

I vote for Portland, OR, myself.

--
Dave Sill (de5 at ornl.gov)	  Tug on anything in nature and you will find
Martin Marietta Energy Systems    it connected to everything else.