...more BOFs

Ed Vielmetti emv at msen.com
Sun May 26 07:18:19 AEST 1991

In article <1991May21.022218.13168 at sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM> kent at sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Kent Landfield) writes:

   >If anyone is organizing a 2d archivist's bof, please let me know...

   It did not take much effort to have an enjoyable and interesting evening.
   Whoever does the coordination, could you please send me some email as well ?

I've had half a dozen mail messages in response (generally positive to
the idea), but no one to step forward to iron out the details.

The charter of this bof is real simple: talk about matters regarding
internet archives administration, to include but not be limited by

- ftp-by-mail services, their past present and future; or "mail based
  archives servers are Evil and Rude;" hopefully someone from DEC and
  from Princeton will be around, as well as the Toronto-area folks who
  were worst affected.
- cataloging and indexing efforts, including "archie", comp.archives,
  any other efforts going on; the likelihood of actual Federal funding
  for any or all of these endeavors; private enterprise and its role.
- a discussion of the role of archive sites and archivists relative to
  that of formal academic journals; I'd like to hear word from the
  folks who run the Neuroprose archive at Ohio State on that one.
- mechanics of running an archive site - logging ftpd's, caching and
  shadowing software, etc.

The scope of the discussion matches the proposed usenet newsgroup
'comp.archives.admin'; for some reason that group already exists at
this site :) so I've cross-posted there.

What's needed is a time and place at Nashville, an overhead projector
with foils or a whiteboard, someone to take copious quantities of
notes to post to comp.archives.admin, and someone to step forward to
take (minimal) responsibility to do it all.

Have fun in Nashville!

Edward Vielmetti, moderator, comp.archives, emv at msen.com

"(6) The Plan shall identify how agencies and departments can
collaborate to ... expand efforts to improve, document, and evaluate
unclassified public-domain software developed by federally-funded
researchers and other software, including federally-funded educational
and training software; "
			"High-Performance Computing Act of 1991, S. 272"