POSIX Update: Shell and Utilities.

Karl Heuer karl at haddock.ima.isc.com
Fri Mar 16 06:19:31 AEST 1990

In article <1990Mar8.171918.16011 at mks.com> eric at mks.com (Eric Gisin) writes:
>In article <16108 at haddock.ima.isc.com>, karl at haddock.ima.isc.com (Karl Heuer) writes:
>>My suggestion would be: $\ (dollar-backslash) begins a C-like escape, so we
>>would have $\a $\b $\t $\n $\v $\f $\r, octal escapes like $\177, and hex
>>escapes like $\x7F.  [Also maybe $\^X for ctrl-X.]
>
>My idea for special strings is $"...", where "..." is a C-like string with
>the ANSI C \ escapes.

I like that one, too.  More precisely, I think the semantics should be the
same as a normal double-quoted string except that there are more backslash
escapes (besides the four that currently exist: \$ \` \" \\).

Is comp.std.unix a better place to discuss this?

Karl W. Z. Heuer (karl at ima.ima.isc.com or harvard!ima!karl), The Walking Lint