POSIX Update: Shell and Utilities.

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Fri Mar 2 04:11:18 AEST 1990

In article <2567 at mbf.UUCP> uunet!attmail!mak writes:
>Also, I do note that [ ] is missing from Bourne's paper on the
>UNIX shell, BLTJ, July/Aug '78. All that means (to me) is that [ ]
>MAY not have been in bourne shell. (Please note the dichotomatic use
>of the terms, bourne shell and  /bin/sh...

It depends on what you mean by "in". :-)  The original Seventh Edition
test(1), which was not part of the shell, was prepared to cope properly
with being invoked under the name `['.  However, as I recall it didn't
actually exist under that name in /bin as distributed, so there is some
room for doubt about whether this feature was fully operational.  But
it does seem to have come from Steve Bourne.
--
MSDOS, abbrev:  Maybe SomeDay |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
an Operating System.          | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu