NAIVE EUNICE INFO REQUEST

John McNally jpm at calmasd.UUCP
Wed Jan 30 12:20:18 AEST 1985

[arghhhh... ]

Please excuse what will seem a very naive set of questions for
this newsgroup, but I need some info and don't seem to have
anywhere else to turn to.

I am working at a 4.2BSD site.  This has nothing to do with my
questions, except to explain that all of this information is being
sought by someone whose VAX system is currently running VMS
(version unknown by me).

I told my friends about UUCP, mail, news, etc. and that there might
be a UNIX-emulator (whatever that means!) that runs under VMS.
Well, that was the start of all my problems, because they said,
"Can you find out about that for me?"  My sys admin doesn't know
much more about it than I do, so I am turning to this newsgroup
for help.  (The first thing that I said to my friends was to run a
UNIX shop, but their product is VMS-based and they aren't about to
change.)  So, here are my questions:

1.  First, is eunice a UNIX-emulator for VMS?  I assume the answer
to this is yes, or otherwise this message wouldn't be in this
newsgroup.  If the answer is no, then the rest of these questions
are moot, unless there are UNIX-emulators other than eunice.

2.  Just what does it emulate?  C shell?  Support C compiler and C
calls to the OS (like sleep, exec, pipe, etc.)?  UUCP, mail, news?
UNIX i/o philosophy?

3.  Who distributes it, how much does it cost, what support is
available, are there multiple versions, are there multiple vendors?

4.  What versions of VMS does it require/desire?  I don't know
much about VMS, so I don't even know if this is an intelligent
question.  Are there any limitations to what machines it will run
on (beyond the obvious requirement of VMS, which I assume means at
least VAX only).

5.  Is it worth bothering with?

Please send responses by mail if possible.  Otherwise, post them
if you have to.  I'll read net.eunice for awhile to watch out for

Thanks in advance.

Standard trademark acks/disclaimers implied.
--
John McNally  Calma  11080 Roselle St. San Diego CA 92121
...{ucbvax,decvax}!sdcsvax!calmasd!jpm     (619)-458-3230