Using Eunice environment to 'cu' out of a VAX-VMS

Lindenmeyer tfilm at ihlpa.ATT.COM
Thu Sep 15 11:33:12 AEST 1988

                               - 1 -
     I am interested in using a UNIX(tm)-based KERMIT to transfer
data from a VAX-VMS system running EUNICE. I have had the system
administrator connect a modem to the VMS tta0 port that translates
into Eunice tty0.  Under the VMS environment, I am able to dial a
number through the port, but only from the keyboard (a .com
procedure cannot access the port).  Under Eunice, I have attempted
to use 'cu (number) -ltty0', but get a strange message that the
line is busy. I have looked at the /dev/ directory on Eunice, but
am unable to execute 'cd dev' (the machine responds 'bad
directory').  By 'cat'ing the /dev/ directory, I can see that tty0
is included in it, but again am uncertain if the directory is any
good.  I have also looked in /usr/lib/uucp/L-devices and find only
one record that assigns DIR tty24 0 9600.
     Does anyone have experience on whether the system may not be
configured properly, whether I may be able to enhance the
environment so that I can make use of 'cu' on Eunice in procedures
that will allow me to access the modem on tty0, dial, connect and
finally transfer data via kermit to a distant pc?
     Thanks for any help.
                              M. E. Lindenmeyer, ihlpa!tfilm
                              880914.2030