v01i021: mahjongg manual page - patch1

Tom Tkacik tkacik at kyzyl.mi.org
Thu May 16 03:22:27 AEST 1991

Submitted-by: kyzyl%tkacik at link.ph.gmr.com (Tom Tkacik)
Posting-number: Volume 1, Issue 21
Archive-name: mahjongg/patch1
Patch-To: mahjongg: Volume 1, Issue 15-16

[ moderators note: the posting of mahjongg went out with an outdated ]
[ man page attached.  this posting contains the correct version.     ]
[ to apply this "patch", throw away the old man page and replace it  ]
[ with this new one.                                                 ]

I just noticed that the Makefile for mahjongg did not shar up the man page.
I no longer have the shar files I sent you, but I suspect the man page
is missing.  How could I have done that?  And not a single response from
out listeners, either.  I wonder where they are?

Oh well.  Maybe it's not too late.  Here it is.  I guess it can always be
added to the archive on osu-cis.

Can you check to make whether there is a man page in the posted shar files,
and if not, can you post this one?

(I hope I am wrong, but don't think so.)  I will check when I get to work
tomorrow, but I should get this to you before another day passes.
--
Tom Tkacik                |
tkacik at kyzyl.mi.org       |     To rent this space, call 1-800-555-QUIP.
...!rphroy!kyzyl!tkacik   |
.\"	Copyright 1988 Mark A. Holm
.\"
.\"	Permission is given to copy and distribute for non-profit purposes.
.\"
.TH MAHJONGG 6 "1 August 1988"
.SH NAME
mahjongg \- Solitaire game using mahjongg tiles
.SH SYNOPSIS
.B /usr/games/mahjongg
[\fB-i\fR] [\fB-b\fR] [\fB-n \fI###\fR]
.SH DESCRIPTION
.I Mah jongg
is an ancient chinese game whose origins are supposed to date back around
3000 years. It is typically a four player game with similarities to most
popular card games. This version is a solitaire game using the mahjongg
tiles.
It has been ported to the UNIXPC from the SUN version, which was
inspired by a version originally seen on a PC.
.SH THEORY OF PLAY
The object of the game is to remove all the tiles from the board in matching
pairs. Tiles match only if they are identical. Exceptions are the flower
and season tiles. Any season tile will match any other season tile and any
flower tile will match any other flower tile. Tiles may be removed from the
board only if they have either a left or a right edge open and they do not have
a tile covering them.
.PP
The display is divided into three areas:  the play area, which shows the
tiles, the control window, which shows the
number of tiles remaining and the game control buttons.  As tiles are removed
the "Tiles Remaining" count will be updated and play related messages and
mouse button defintions will
be shown just above the control buttons.
.PP
Tiles are selected by placing the mouse icon on a tile and pressing the left
button. To deselect a tile simply repress the left button while on the tile.
Any time an invalid selection is made, any previous selections for that turn
are cleared.
After selecting a pair of tiles, you will be asked to confirm your choice.
Press the left mouse button to confirm or the right mouse button to cancel.
.SH HELP FEATURES
Two help features are currently implemented. By selecting the "help" button
when no tiles are selected, you will be shown all available
tile combinations. To see each combination press the left mouse button until
no more moves are shown. To cancel "help" press the
right mouse button. If you have selected a tile, pressing the middle mouse
button, or selecting the "help" button, will find the
first matching tile (if any) starting at the top of the pile and working down.
If a match is found, you will be asked to confirm and the pair will be
removed from the board.
If an alternate match is available pressing the middle mouse button
labeled "NEXT" will show it.
.SH UNDO
Since some people tend to be a little faster on the mouse then they should be,
the undo feature was implemented. The "undo" button replaces the previous
pair that was removed from board. You can continue to press undo until you
get back to a new board.
.SH NEW and SAME
Selecting the "new board" button restarts the game with a new
board. Selecting the "same board" button restarts the game using the same board.
Either button may be used at any time during the game.
.SH OPTIONS
.IP \fB\-n \fI###\fR
Start with board number ###. Boards through 65536 are available.
.IP \fB-i\fR
Use inverse video.  The tiles appear as black on white (green), rather than
white on black.  This looks better, but the tiles were not originally
meant to be used this way, and it shows.
.IP \fB-b\fR
Make the tiles have the background color.
Whether \fB-i\fR or \fB-b\fR
is the default is selectable at compile time.
.SH DIAGNOSTICS
.SH FILES
/usr/games/mahjongg			executable
.SH AUTHOR
Copyright 1988 Mark A. Holm
.br
<tektronix!tessi!exc!markh>
.sp
Ported to the UNIXPC by Thomas Tkacik
.br
<tkacik at kyzyl.mi.org>
.SH BUGS
Board number is not checked very close. If you put something wierd in, you
deserve everthing you get.
.PP
No score file. It is up to you to keep track of who did how well on what board.
.PP
Not as pretty as the SUN version, especially when in color.

--
David H. Brierley
Home: dave at galaxia.newport.ri.us; Work: dhb at quahog.ssd.ray.com
Send comp.sources.3b1 submissions to comp-sources-3b1 at galaxia.newport.ri.us
%% Can I be excused, my brain is full. **