v15i010: RNALIB 2.0, Mail Server

Paolo Ventafridda venta at i2ack.sublink.org
Sat Oct 6 10:07:37 AEST 1990

Posting-number: Volume 15, Issue 10
Submitted-by: venta at i2ack.sublink.org (Paolo Ventafridda)
Archive-name: rnalib2/part00

Hello Brandon!

Inside comp.sources.misc of Aug 1989 there was RNA 1.0, a tiny but
useful server based on e-mail.
Since then, i've been working with a friend on the 2.0 release, which
is finally ready.

RNA 2.0 is an advanced mail-server which allows remote uucp users
to ask for text or binary files using ordinary email.
Rnalib can deal with compress/uuencode/btoa/uusend/uucp: a user can
ask for a file to be compressed and shipped through uucp instead
of e-mail, which is the default.
RNA handles 'libraries', i.e. directories (well, two libraries can
share the same directory, but that's part of the docs); it also
tries to handle headers following rfc822, and has a bunch of neat
features which someone might find useful.
This is an example of request:
@@ please send RNA from netware using compress-btoa through e-mail

RNA is written in Bourne Shell; it's over 1100 lines of pretty
hard code (30K without comments and blank lines). It doesn't use
'awk'; should run on almost any machine but 286s (the shell would die).
I'll support it as much as i can; new versions are already coming out,
but will apply as patches to this working release.

I hope you accept it for sources.unix or sources.misc.
Many greetings and thanks for your always appreciated work,

   Paolo Ventafridda
   <venta at i2ack.sublink.org>