Modem 71[12]

Kurt Guntheroth kurt at fluke.UUCP
Sat Aug 6 02:20:54 AEST 1983

I would like to say I was really disappointed at the posting of modem71* to
net.sources.  Binary?  On UN*X?  Disgusting.  I would greatly have perferred
to see any of .ASM source (although not by much), sources in C (it is
incredible that there are still people who would write a program this big in
assembly language), or a complete description of the protocols and commands
so that those of us who don't have a CP/M system might have a starting place
from which to implement a modem program with relatively standard features.

How about it guys?  Assembly language and binaries are hardly what I expect
from M.I.T. (even from undergraduates).  I appreciate the efforts of Ward
Christiansen et al in providing this program, but maybe it wasn't worth it
for binaries.

By the way the file made it to Everett WA apparently intact.  If it
originated from brl that is an accomplishment.

Kurt Guntheroth
Digital Service Products Software
John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
{decvax!microsof,ucbvax!lbl-csam,allegra,uw-beaver,sb1}!fluke!kurt