More UUCP, but better by FARRRRRRRR! - (nf)

david at varian.UUCP david at varian.UUCP
Wed Nov 23 08:21:13 AEST 1983

I would like to thank bradley!brad for posting his uucpanz uucp analysis
program. However, I had to make a few changes to get it to work with
our uucp: we run the 4.1BSD version of uucp, with most of the known bug fixes
installed.

The first problem was that brad's SYSLOG entries look like this:

uucp uiucdcs (11/1-5:01) (436532504) received data 363 bytes 4 secs

I don't know what the fourth field (the 9 digit number) is supposed to
mean, but our version does not have that field at all. This causes the numbering
of all succeeding fields to be off by one, so I just changed the field
numbers in the calls to getfield().

The other problem I found was that each command in the list of commands
executed (rmail, rnews, etc) was being truncated by one character.  I
don't understand why it works for Brad but fails for us: possibly something
to do with the different paths that XQT uses (we use only /bin:/usr/bin;
he also uses /etc), but I fixed it by moving the placement of the string
terminator (see below).

	David Brown	 (415) 945-2199
	Varian Instruments 2700 Mitchell Dr.  Walnut Creek, Ca. 94598
	{ihnp4,tektronix,hplabs,sytek,dual}!zehntel!varian!david
	{amd70,fortune}!varian!david
	...!decvax!sytek!zehntel!varian!david
	...!ucbvax!menlo70!sytek!zehntel!varian!david
-----------

*** uucpanz.c	Tue Nov 22 14:00:54 1983
--- uucpanz.c.old	Tue Nov 22 14:06:41 1983
***************
*** 152,159
  		*cp = '\0';
  		d = atoi(c);